Sunday, May 18, 2008

Our Dad Spot


My Dad was the rock of my life. Reliable, trustworthy - a good bloke well liked by his work mates and loved by his friends and family. I could talk to Dad about almost anything and he was always available if I needed help.

When he passed away a few years ago, I was left with a big hole in my life. Although I was surrounded by a close family and good friends, it seemed like no-one could fill that Dad spot.

The stability, the peace and the comfort that came from knowing Dad was there was pulled out from under me. I realised how much I had taken for granted: not only having a Dad, but having a good Dad.

Not everyone has lots of good stories to tell about their fathers. I've heard some not so happy stories about fathers - stories that make you angry and break your heart. I’ve come to learn that whether we admit it or try to ignore it, the Dad-spot in our lives is an important place.

So I really appreciate how Jesus referred to God as Abba (Dad) and how he invites us to pray to God as Our Father in heaven. Without a Dad nearby to talk to, I can talk to my Other Father. I can go to Him for help. He is now the stability, peace and comfort that I lost when my father died.

It may be hard to call God, Father. Perhaps your earthly father hurt you, rejected you or abandoned you. You may feel like you are nothing in your dads eyes but you have another Father.

Your other Father is proud of you. Your Other Father listens to you. He is pleased with you. He thinks you are worth dying for.

And with a Father in Heaven like that, our Dad-spot can always be filled.

By Brad Flynn

0 comments: